• Daily Support was created for Forumotion support, troubleshooting your problems with your computer, with your network or with your life. We offer graphic design services like graphic creations, good tutorials and many others! I hope you like this theme, i worked a lot to make it.
    Look at our new code! This is a nice loading screen for all versions Very Happy Read more
    Look at our new code! This is a nice Windows 8 Styled navigation bar! Read more
    Look at our new code! This is a code for partner, similary to our partner script! You have to choose your forum version, from the next list...Read more.
Daily Support ™

Tutorials, protection, discussions, graphic design, forumotion help, codes, gaming, roleplay, counter-strike 1.6, metin2, mt2, cs 1.6, cs 1.6 codes, mt2 codes, powerfull forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX Empty My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX
Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:04 am
Dishonored

Dishonored

Webmaster

Webmaster
Dishonored
Dishonored
Daily Points : 735
Warns : No warnings
punBB
Reboot

If your computer has not been reboot recently make sure to reboot it before following any of the below steps.

Background programs

One of the most common reasons for a slow computer are programs running in the background. Remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer boots.

Tip: To see what programs are running in the background and how much memory and CPU they are using open Task Manager. If you are running Windows 7 or higher run Resmon to get a better understanding of how your computer is being used.

If you've got an antivirus scanner on the computer, spyware protection program, or other security utility make sure it's not scanning your computer in the background. If a scan is in progress it can decrease the overall performance of your computer.

Free hard drive space

Verify that there is at least 200-500MB of free hard drive space. This available space allows the computer to have room for the swap file to increase in size as well as room for temporary files.

Determining available hard drive space.
Regaining computer hard drive space.
Bad, corrupted or fragmented hard drive

Run ScanDisk, chkdsk, or something equivalent to verify there is nothing physically wrong with the computer hard drive.
Run Defrag to help ensure that data is arranged in the best possible order.
Scan for malware

Today, spyware and other malware is a big cause of many computer problems including a slow computer. Even if an antivirus scanner is installed on the computer we recommend running a malware scan on the computer. Use the free version of Malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware.

Hardware conflicts

Verify that the Device Manager has no conflicts. If any exist resolve these issues as they could be the cause of your problem.
Update Windows

Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed in the computer.
If you are on the Internet when your computer is slow also make sure all browser plugins are up-to-date.
Update your drivers

Make sure you've got the latest drivers for your computer, especially the latest video drivers. Having out-of-date drivers can cause an assortment of issues.

Memory upgrade

If you've had your computer for more than two years it's likely you're computer is not meeting the memory requirements for today. Today, we suggest a minimum of 1GB of memory (RAM). By having enough memory for programs to run within memory your computer will not need to swap information stored within memory to the swap file. If your computer hard drive light is constantly active, its a good indication of your computer is swapping information betewen your memory and hard drive because of the lack of space in memory.

Determining how much RAM is installed and available.
What type of computer memory to use in a memory upgrade?
Hard drive upgrade

One of the biggest bottlenecks of a computer is the hard disk drive. For anyone with a slow computer or just looking for something to upgrade in the computer to improve overall system performance going from a traditional HDD to a Solid State Drive (SSD) will significantly improve the overall system performance.

Run registry cleaner

We normally do not recommend registry cleaners. However, if you have followed all of the above steps and your computer is still slow try running a registry cleaner on the computer.

Computer or processor is overheating

Make sure your computer and processor is not overheating. Excessive heat can cause a significant decrease in computer performance since most processors automatically step the speed of the processor down to help compensate compensate for the heat related issues.

What temperature should my processor be running at?
Dust, dirt, and hair can also constrict a proper air flow on your computer, which can also cause a computer to overheat. Make sure your computer case is clean and fans are not obstructed.

Steps on cleaning your computer.
Erase computer and start over

If none of the above solutions resolve your issues, it is recommended that you either reinstall Windows or erase everything and then start over.

Old computer

If your computer is older than five years come to terms that it is likely the age of the computer that is causing it to be slow. Computers progress at an alarming rate as new programs and updates for programs come out their minimum requirements increase and will cause older computers to slow down. If your computer is older than five years we suggest purchasing a new computer or just realize after following the above steps it is going to run slower than a newer computer.

How often should I buy a new computer?
Hardware issues

Finally, if your computer continues to be slower than normal after going over each of the above recommendations (including erasing and starting over) it's possible that your computer is experiencing a more serious hardware related issue such as a failing component in the computer. This could be a failing or bad hard drive, CPU, RAM, motherboard, or other component.

2My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX Empty Re: My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX
Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 pm
Trenmor

Trenmor

Support Moderator

Support Moderator
Trenmor
Trenmor
Daily Points : 177
Alot of information to take in here!

Wish: You could add step No. or Letters?

Overall, great Tutorial! (Oooooh, Rhyme, Rhyme)

3My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX Empty Re: My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX
Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 am
Dishonored

Dishonored

Webmaster

Webmaster
Dishonored
Dishonored
Daily Points : 735
punBB
Why should i add that step ? Very Happy

4My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX Empty Re: My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX
Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 am
Trenmor

Trenmor

Support Moderator

Support Moderator
Trenmor
Trenmor
No, it's not a step, you put numbers before each step, to avoid confusion.

5My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX Empty Re: My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX
Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:32 am
Trenmor

Trenmor

Support Moderator

Support Moderator
Trenmor
Trenmor
TOPIC LOCKED

Any more support required, contact the thread author.

6My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX Empty Re: My computer is running slow, what should i do ? - FIX

Sponsored content

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum